Monday, February 20, 2012

Dawn of a New Day

Unwillingly, I've been, for most of my life since middle school, a night owl. Throughout the years, I've entertained the notion, the ideal, of waking up early everyday. It was my desire to start off the day with the sun on the horizon, a coffee in one hand, and a paper in another. Then I would have time to work out, meditate, read, write, or do whatever I wished in the wee hours of the morning. It was picture perfect, but this dream never became a reality.

There were times when I would attempt this feat.  However, the nature of a college student's life is one that is hard to overcome.  But there was always a glimmer of hope when all seemed dark. The odd days when I did manage to gain consciousness when the rooster cockle-doodle-doed, I felt good. I relished the crisp morning air. I knew that one day, I would have the strength to conquer my broken sleep cycle.

Today, the rooster called and I responded. At 7:15 AM, I dressed and marched off the gym, smiling. I was triumphant. The day has been spectacular. I had time after working out to do three loads of laundry, clean my room, clean the bathroom, and dress up for class. But this victory is just the first of many battles. Every day will be a struggle until I make it a habit, a part of my routine.

Hopefully, I can pull through this time. As Bob the Builder and Barack Obama said...


Update:  That plan has been interrupted.  I've actually slept at 10:00 AM and 7:00 AM the past two days. I was just working hard on a movie, my friend and I are submitting to Campus MovieFest.  Everything, including school, has been pushed to the wayside.  Actually, I really enjoy just focusing all my energy on one goal.  I should do this more often.  Sigh.  Stupid school is always in the way.

Update: Today is 3/7/12.  I've failed with this whole waking up thing the last few weeks :(  I must prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment